10 Years at IBM

10 Year Pen

10 Year Pen

I recently celebrated my 10th year of being an IBMer. In recognition of this milestone event, I received a rather lovely sterling silver pen. The hallmark 925 means it’s 92.5% silver (the other 7.5% is probably copper, or other alloyed metal, to increase the hardness). The other marks suggest it was made in the UK (the lion), specifically Birmingham (the anchor).

One third of my life in one company. Wow. I’d quickly like to thank the friends and colleagues at IBM (many of whom have already moved on. I mean you too) who have made the last ten years so enjoyable.

4 Comments

RSS feed for comments on this post.

  1. 10 years sounds like a long time, but 1997 doesn’t seem long ago. Then again, you did get married, graduate, buy a house and get a dog in those ten years. Damn, I need a wife, house and dog in the next ten months to keep up!

    What were the best and worst bits? Being a Sponnie? Working on MQTT? Virtual Worlds? The installation of the T-Bird?

    Comment by Darren — November 12, 2007 #

  2. Each job within the company has been more enjoyable than the last (though being a sponsored student was indeed fun). I think work has been so fun because I don’t really have any sort of plan, and just keep moving around and saying yes to enjoyable things.

    That said, the T-Bird in the Cha Bar is of course a plus. (I really must get a photo of that. Do you already have one?)

    Comment by Roo — November 12, 2007 #

  3. […] In recognition of 10 years [and 2 months] service A couple of months ago I celebrated 10 years of working at IBM and today I received a nice pen to mark the occasion. It seems that 1997 was a good year for IBM and quite a few people I know have been celebrating their first decade (tin anniversary?) including Roo, who has a very nice photo of the pen on his weblog. […]

    Pingback by In recognition of 10 years [and 2 months] service « Notes from a small field — November 21, 2007 #

  4. Finally achieved the milestone myself… I suspect that depreciation has applied to the “10 year pen” as mine is a Waterman Paris not some super silver thing :-)

    Comment by Andy Piper — October 4, 2011 #

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress with GimpStyle Theme design by Horacio Bella.
The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent my employer's positions, strategies or opinions.