Physics Games

Three different physics games I’ve been enjoying recently. You might like them too.

1 – Toribash (Mac, Windows) is my favourite fighting game ever. The physics, rendering and tense multiplayer action make it an instant addiction.

2 – Crayon Physics (Windows) is the freeware prototype of something which went on to become the eagerly awaited Crayon Physics Deluxe (the one shown in the video below).

3 – Phun (Windows and Linux) is a fun 2D physics playground. Experiment with gravity, friction, springs, motors, and more. It looks a bit like this

It seems to be inspired by the MIT Magic Paper demo (shown in the video below).

Here’s a link to my growing collection of physics games bookmarks

1. You might also want to check out the very good homebrew Pocket Physics for the nintendo DS. Microsofts Tablet PC Experience pack also has a gesture based physics system.

Comment by kyb — March 1, 2008 #

2. Thanks. I’ll take a peek at Pocket Physics. I should have mentioned (though the last link gives it away) that the MIT project is some sort of partnership with Microsoft Research. I wonder if it’s feeding into things like the the Tablet PC Experience pack?

Comment by Roo — March 1, 2008 #

3. Toribash is available for Linux too. I’ve had a go (in single player mode) – it seems very difficult to get the player to make the move I visualise…hmm, more practice, I guess :)

Comment by Jon — March 2, 2008 #

4. Thanks Jon. I hadn’t spotted that. Yes.. it definitely takes practice. Once you’ve got the basics, playing in multiplayer mode is a great way to get better (and faster) at dealing damage and staying in control. I’m still very much a novice, and played for at least half-a-dozen games before I won any. That sense of progress was pretty enjoyable.

Comment by Roo — March 2, 2008 #

5. Sumotori dreams is a tiny game involving wrestling sumo robots. I find it hilarious because the sumo robots aren’t very good at keeping their balanace…

Comment by kyb — March 3, 2008 #

6. Wow…the crayon physics game seems like tons of fun! Also a great learning tool for kids as well.

Thanks for the great blog!

Comment by Stan, the play games man — March 5, 2008 #

7. […] I have been wanting to write about this for a while (well, since Roo first wrote his post) but wasnt sure whether to just point to Roo’s post, or whether to repeat the contents of it here. I have decided that posting the 4 videos would feel too much like plagarism, so check out Roo’s post: rooreynolds.com: Physics Games […]

Pingback by Strangeparty » Blog Archive » Physics Games — March 21, 2008 #

8. Take a look at Ragdoll Blaster on the iPhone, very addictive physics puzzle game with around 100 puzzles to solve.

Comment by Lidders — August 2, 2009 #