Recent Reading

Recent Reading (August)

• The Autograph Man, Zadie Smith – easily the best and least irritating Zadie Smith book ever. Hated White Teeth? Try this one.
  • Choke, Chuck Palahniuk – dark, disturbing and funny in that way that Chuck Palahniuk (and, in their own way, Irvine Welsh and Iain Banks) can sometimes be.
  • Dead Air, Iain Banks – reread it again, mainly for the very-tense-can’t-possibly-put-it-down bit about 2/3 through. You know, when he’s got to do that thing wearing the gloves. Brilliant!
  • Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About, Mil Millington – Very very funny book. You should read it. (Apparently I last did so in December 2007 and it was a pleasure to do so again.) You should really also read his searingly funny website which pre-dates the book.
  • Love and Other Near Death Experiences, Mil Millington – nearly as funny as the other one. (And it seems I last read this one on a trip to San Francisco in December 2006. I knew blogging my reading habits would be good for something.)

1. Roo! Let it be known that I love your recent reading lists and am glad that you still do them. :-)

Comment by Alice — September 5, 2009 #

2. I agree about dead air – have read several times & reminds me very much of the time I was working in London in 2002 roughly when this was set. Happy days :-)

Comment by Ricky — September 5, 2009 #

3. Thanks Alice. I like doing them and I’m glad you like them too.

Ricky: looks like Banks’ latest book, Transition, was just published. Hurrah.

Comment by Roo — September 6, 2009 #

4. Have you read any of Augusten Burroughs books? Raw and Running with Scissors are my two favorites. Based on some of the other books you liked, you might give him a try. Very biting, witty, black humor.

Vicki

Comment by Vicki Williams — September 6, 2009 #

5. I’ll be the dissenting voice and say that I thought Dead Air disappointing. I can’t quite remember why now – something to do with all the contemporary references, perhaps. I don’t know if you’ve read The Steep Approach to Garbadale – I thought that was pretty enjoyable.

Comment by Neil — September 6, 2009 #

6. Neil: Dead Air can be a little smug, and definitely no Wasp Factory or The Bridge but I did enjoy it and it has more page-turney-ness than some of his others. And yep, I liked The Steep Approach to Garbadale too.

Vicki: thanks for the tip. I’ll give them a go.

Comment by Roo — September 6, 2009 #