It starts off with the central front LEDs lit up bright white, and pressing the button on the BlinkyTape switches between steads/left/right indicator modes.
The PowerMonkey is a simple little 5v rechargeable battery, with a variety of adaptors for charging various phones etc. It makes an ideal portable power source for the BlinkyTape.
Here’s a video of it in action.
And I’ve put the source code online too.
I’ve also been experimenting with using the BlinkyTape PatternPaint app to do some light painting.
Lots more fun to have here.
I finally found a way to make Secret less boring.
I spent a week posting and responding to comments using carefully selected quotes from Holden Caulfield.
I gave each one the same background (crimson denim) and I dropped the initial capital on each one in an effort to make the quotes slightly less formal.
Catcher in the Rye is a classic, and full of brilliant angst ridden quotes that are indistinguishable from most of what’s on Secret anyway.
Finding relevant quotes to use in replies was fun.
Sometimes it worked better than others.
Some that I expected to work really well didn’t get any replies at all. I expect I need more friends using Secret to make this work really well.
I gradually started to use more obvious quotes and eventually got spotted.
I had lots of replies from people who seemed to take them at face value though. And unless you knew the book well, why wouldn’t you?
One anonymous friend was horrified at Holden’s use of English.
Holden’s attitude to women and sex isn’t all that great, let’s be honest.
I’m glad someone called him on it in the comments.
I’ve been using the Things app for a while for tracking projects and next actions with the goal of Getting Things Done. I wanted something to help me pay attention to the things I need to get done, and decided that a physical representation of daily progress would be an interesting thing to try.
The hardware build was really easy. More of a bodging together of components than anything. I dremelled out the back of the voltmeter to create a bit more room, fitted it to a small enclosure box, and squeezed the dev board into the remaining space, with the ground pin and an analog output connected to the voltmeter.
The code is pretty straightforward. The Teensy runs a small program that listens for lines of text via the USB serial port and simply sets the output of the voltmeter to whatever percentage value arrives. At this stage I’ve got a simple multi-purpose percentage meter controlled trivially over USB.
Next is a Ruby script that listens for changes to the Things app, works out how many of the tasks in the ‘Today’ screen have been marked as completed today, and sends that percentage to the USB serial port. It’s like a physical progress bar for things I want to get done today. A done dial for life.
I’m going to try it for a while and see how it works. There are probably lots of other things that a progress meter would help with too.
I made a thing.
We lose trust from our users if we write government ‘buzzwords’ and jargon. Often, these words are too general and vague and can lead to misinterpretation or empty, meaningless text. We need to be specific, use plain English and be very clear about what we are doing.
While the guide is very helpful, and includes alternative suggestions for many of the words to avoid, I wanted to be able to spot jargon more easily on the web.
Although it just about works there are, or course, quite a few things wrong with it.
- It really doesn’t work very well on very busy pages with lots of links.
- The layout algorithm could be a bit smarter when deciding which margin to use (e.g. links on the right of the page should ideally prefer to be shown in the right margin, rather than blindly alternating).
(Oh, hello Boingboing!)
For the past month or so, I’ve been trying to make at least one thing every week. This week, while digging through my list of someday/maybe projects, I was delighted to find this little beauty: “website idea: a collection of things riding on other things. Videos of kittens riding on tortoises, etc”.
I had originally been expecting to build a whole thing from scratch; a gallery, a submissions engine, the lot. Crazy. Tumblr is custom built for things like this. So, may I humbly present Things Riding on Things, ‘a comprehensive collection’.
A consistent tagging structure was required, so I’ve gone for a simple system where all entries are tagged with
rider:ridee. Therefore, if you want to find entries in which a monkey is riding on a deer, you need thingsridingonthings.tumblr.com/tagged/monkey:deer. Easy.
Building further on that, I hacked together a quick script to generate a matrix of all the things riding on all the other things, to help visualise the various relationships between rider and ridee.
Contributions are already coming in thick and fast. Feel free to suggest your own.