Here’s what I’ve been reading in the past few weeks.
- Lionel Shriver, ‘The Post-Birthday World’ – Think: Sliding Doors. From the author of We Need to Talk About Kevin (which I prefer).
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, ‘The Black Swan’ – Interesting. If you’ve ever thought about risk management this could be a challenging thought provoking read.
- Gary Shteyngart, ‘Absurdistan’ – I found this rather slow to get started, but it did have a few laugh-out-loud moments.
- Charles Stross, ‘Halting State’ – A loan from Andy SC. Quite remarkably good. Realistic near future sci-fi. Perhaps does for Augmented Reality and ARGs what Snow Crash did for the Metaverse. Read it now. (I read Singularity Sky and The Glasshouse last year, and said then that ‘Stross may be my new favourite scifi author‘. Still true. And he blogs.
- Joseph Heller, ‘Catch 22’ – A classic, of course. 2nd re-reading, and I enjoy it more each time.
- Clay Shirky, ‘Here Comes Everybody’ – Gareth lent me this today. I’m enjoying it already.